Real Estate is not
This is a special year-end edition of The 2 Minute Drill. As best as possible I want to pinpoint the coaching highlights from 2022.
My job as a real estate coach is to help you do your job as a real estate professional in the best way possible.
Your job is to cultivate and nurture relationships with the people you know and the people you have done business with.
Real estate is a repeat and referral business driven by relationships.
We define relationship by picking up the phone at least 4 times per year to check in with each person in your CRM. It is a straightforward - Hi, how are you doing call? If they want to talk real estate, they will bring it up with you.
Part of being in relationship includes positioning yourself as a trusted advisor. A trusted advisor is someone who puts the other party's interests first at all times.
There are 6 parts to doing your job in the best way possible:
1. Setting your mind on the "North Star" of living in a state of harmony.
2. Time blocking - prioritizing and doing what is most important.
3. CRM - staying in contact with people in a systematic way.
4. Process Management - defining each work-flow step by step and being checklist driven.
5. Tactical Empathy - the skill of making people feel understood.
6. Knowing your numbers - making informed decisions.
All year long I have been sharing how best to execute these 6 Core Building Blocks.
When I say...
Do your job...
Hopefully you know exactly what I mean.
If you don't... ask!!
The first step is knowing what to do.
The second step is doing it and working hard to get smarter and better on a daily basis. Mastery is the goal.
The third step is learning how to enjoy what you do by giving your best effort, no matter the outcome.
This is what I coach to every day.
You don't need any new ideas.
You simply need to execute these 6 to the best of your ability.
This is a very holistic approach to doing business. All 6 building blocks are connected and interdependent.
Do these 6 things right on a consistent basis... and there is nothing else you need to do.
This is how you leverage:
1. Your Mind
2. Your Time
3. Your Relationships
4. Your Process
5. Your Skill
6. Your Information
It is a powerful combination.
Here are the things I hear coming out of mouth all the time in no particular order:
1. Do your job.
2. Let go or be dragged. You have to let of your past, your programming and conditioning to grow your business.
3. Inch wide - Mile deep.
4. You don't have to hedge your bet in any way when you master CRM.
5. CRM is your most powerful business building tool.
6. Real estate is a repeat and referral business.
7. The reason agents work 7 days a week is because they don't work 5 days a week.
8. Chasing can only end poorly. It is the direct path to burnout.
9. How you do your business is much more important than how much business you do.
10. Whatever is happening is happening. None of it is personal (it only feels personal). All of it is temporary.
11. There is nothing to fear.
12. Time blocking is total freedom.
13. Process creates the customer experience and quality of life for you.
14. You can't do everything.
15. Progress, not perfection.
16. Real estate is a battle for consistency. Consistency is the thing you get paid most for.
17. Every deal is a miracle. Treat them as such.
18. Get your reps in.
19. If you can't enjoy today, what's the point?
20. The last thing you need is a new idea. Better execute the ideas you have right now.
21. Pace wins the race.
22. Where are you rushing to?
23. Real estate is a 30+ year career. Take a longer term outlook on how you build and grow your business.
24. What gets measured... improves.
25. What gets calendared... gets done.
26. When you cross the threshold from me to YOU... everything changes. Always focus on the other person and what they are thinking and feeling.
27. When you are explaining... you are losing.
28. No more free consulting.
29. Get in front of everything.
30. The person who says it... matters most.
31.Test and probe to find out if you are the Favorite of the Fool.
32. The biggest motivator of human behavior is fear of loss.
33. You can't overcome emotion with fact, logic and reason.
34. Make them feel understood.
35. Every deal comes from the same place - left field, the unknown.
36. You are not in control of what happens in life. You only control how you experience what happens and how you respond.
37. Life is a non-stop tidal wave of opportunity and challenge and everything in between. You can't stop the waves however you can learn to surf. Be a better surfer of life.
38. Life is short. Death is unpredictable and random. Enjoy the day.
39. You can't scale chaos.
40. Deals are a byproduct of being in relationship.
41. You are selling reality to people who have hopes and dreams that are not based in reality.
42. Get comfortable being uncomfortable.
43. Curiosity over anxiety. Get curious.
44. No one can predict the future. No one.
45. Stop making yourself into a commodity.
46. Relational vs transactional. Trust over value. Empathy, not convincing.
47. There are no real emergencies in real estate. No one is dying. Houses don't bleed.
48. You are not that important. Check your ego at the door. Get over yourself.
49. What changes if you leave planet earth today? Answer: Nothing.
50. Being a full fee agent makes you a better real estate professional.
Bonus Point #51. Who you are is so much greater than who you are trying to be. You are perfect. You are an expression of infinite possibility. You are one with life, connected to everyone and everything. The same life force that created everyone and everything is shared by all.
I am going to stop here. Again these are things I find myself repeating over and over again in my daily coaching.
- Note: Please be sure to view this entire email message. You may have to click at the very bottom to see everything.